Dragon Boat Festival 2011

The Bun Festival

We love our mom!

Life in the Pearl- Ching Ming Festival

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Small World Indeed!


Let me put things in perspective for you...there are about 7 billion people in the world and about 7 million of those people live in Hong Kong. There are 1.3 billion people in China and .3 billion in the US. That's a lot of people. The other day there was an ad for a free table near the place we live so I jumped on it since we didn't have one. If it wasn't too great it could at least go on our roof to start my ultimate BBQ pad! I woke up Saturday morning and climbed to the top of the mountain behind our house, (awesome experience, different story). I came home and headed to get the table. I was a bit worn out and really surprised at how heavy the glass top table was that we were getting. While I talked with Simon, the owner of the table who was giving it away, he asked me what I did and how long I had been in Hong Kong. Typical small talk...I told him that for two years I was a missionary for the Church, and he said, "Oh, so you probably know Scott and Doris!" Being new the the ward we are still in the remembering names and faces mode, but I finally realized that I did know them and that he knew that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are better known as Mormons. I thought, wow what a small world...then he said, "I've been to Utah." He had gone there on vacation. I told him I was from there and of course asked him if he had ever been to Cedar City. He thought for a moment and then said, "The Shakespeare Festival, right"...you have got to be kidding me. Then he asked me if I went to BYU, I proudly said that I went to SUU. "My wife went to SUU!" was his reply. I could not believe it. This is a kid who grew up in England, his parents are from Hong Kong, as well as his wife, and he knows other Mormons in our area and his wife is a Thunderbird. Unbelievable... The table weighed a ton, and two hours later I finally got it to a taxi stand where a nice couple with three dogs informed me that they have never seen taxis come to that taxi stand, but they said they could give me a ride. There are good people in this world! After I got the table all put back together at our house I realized I needed some chairs. Just as I'm putting on my shoes to go buy some cheap fold up chairs I hear the neighbor ask someone if they knew anyone who needed some chairs. I was so blessed today! I ran down and talked him and got 6 chairs that used to be at his restaurant and they look pretty sweet! (Its all about the law of attraction. Again, another story.) It was awesome to sit down with my family and have dinner at a table instead of the floor we have been enjoying for the last month. Life is great.

1 comment:

CE Webster said...

What a great day you had!